Saturday 5 February 2011

Alice in Wonderland

 So (just noticed that I seem to start all my blogs with so, no point changing now!) for my Alice project I'm using an old Alice through the looking glass children's book as my sketchbook. I've had some comments that the words are in the way you can't see the drawings, but I like working in a book and what I'm doing is going through the book look at the illustrations of the tale and using them as inspirations for each design. So there've been detailing in a fireplace and then I turn it into detail on the skirt of a dress. I find that it's a good thing to have something to refer to right there on the next page as I'm working as I've got my research folder but sometimes forget what's actually in there and so I use main sources of inspiration from the folder but for the smaller details I like working from my sketch book.

So I go through drawing a sketch of a garment on each possible page then look into what detail, what technique of embroidery could be used to decorate it. Here for example is a sample is of the kind of embroidery that would be used to cover the top of this dress. Different techniques such as French knots and weaving were used to create some of these flowers.




Here's another example of my work from my sketch book. This was a chapter that I choose to look into playing and the different ways to use them for designs of decoration. Then a quick sample of the type of fabric that would be used and then I used some woven roses to create the main body of the sign of a club.


Next I'm going to be continuing through the book and filling it with designs and samples, while creating some larger pieces that that I'm not just confined to the smaller size of my sketch book.

No comments:

Post a Comment