Monday 28 February 2011

Just a few more flowers

So these are just a few more scans from my textiles sketch book. I seem to be going in two directions, it’s either flowers (The garden of living flowers) or playing cards which I’ll hopefully have some more work on by next week so can upload some of that. But for now flowers seem an important part of wonderland as they help colour Alice’s world.
These sketches are just examples of how a simple dress could then be transformed by embroidery. This rose dress would be covered in woven roses, one of the techniques from my post below which I learned from the book Three-Dimensional Embroidery stitches by Pat Trott. I’ve learned a lot from this book and even find myself using her techniques when I’m not even sewing flowers for woven roses are a great way to fill in a perfect circle.

So for now I think I’ll keep going with the flowers but I think it would be interesting to look more into to the playing cards, using the colour scheme of black, white and red perhaps as this would create something much different and I’m finding when I try and stick to the pale blue dress my work can get quite limited and here already I’m leaning towards different colours. This is the point of this sketch book to try different things as it’s alright if it’s not perfect, I’m just exploring, but do think if I were able to make more than one dress by the time of our American Museum show to have one pale blue dress along with a red dress covered in playing cards or even just the symbols, this could then be something quite different, so I’m quite excited by this.

No comments:

Post a Comment