Wednesday 30 November 2011

Hogwarts, It's quicker by rail

Following my research into the 'It's quicker by rail' advertisements I've been playing around with a few of my own ideas and designs for posters, only I've been drawing on my summer in Florida for inspiration. For example I think it would be interesting to advertise Disney World in this style however I thought it could be interesting to advertise somewhere that to me is British it being on American soil.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a newly opened section to the Isles of Adventure theme park in  Orlando, Florida. It's somewhere i've been looking forward to visiting since I heard of it becoming a reality a few years ago, and being in Orlando for a few months I knew that I would visit only just a few times. And as much as I loved the whole set up of going through the gateway into Hogsmeade, seeing the Hogwarts Express with the conductor standing by it's side (who had a very strong Yorkshire accent) and then seeing the Castle in the background was a truly terrific sight, however seeing the fake snow on the roofs of the shops of Hogsmeade in the 30 degree weather I couldn't help but feel that this is a bit surreal.

In my mind Hogwarts is set in the Highlands of Scotland, with the strong winds (which would make the cloaks for sale more appealing) and bitter chills to which a Butterbeer would warm you up in the Three broom sticks rather than cool you down. But I'm not an idiot I no why 'Harry Potter World' is an addition to an existing theme park to keep it more up to date and for guests to keep coming back but it still feels a bit wrong that such a British franchise is in America.
So more for my own amusement I've just done some rough sketches of how Hogwarts and Hogsmeade could be advertised in the 'It's quicker by rail' style (which I think could be very appropriate considering the most well known way of getting to these magical places is by the Hogwarts Express.

No comments:

Post a Comment