Thursday 2 December 2010

Some more artwork embroidery


So I’ve now done a couple of pieces of just the outline, no extra fabric, just experimenting again with realistic colours then some brighter unusual colour combinations.
I think I actually prefer the brighter piece. When doing a few of these pieces I keep turning them over and actually thinking I quite like the effect of the sewing on the back, if the knots weren’t on the back. So I thought why not make a piece where the back is actually the front? This was confusing to do, even though I could draw a thick pen line on the fabric to then embroidery onto (Which I couldn’t in the others as the pen line would still be seen) which did make it easier however I kept having to turn over the piece to see if you could tell what I was meant to be. I don’t like messy work, sometimes on the back of some embroidery there’s thread chris-crossing everywhere and that’s not what I wanted, I was turning the back of a piece into the front yes, however this was intentional, it’s not I don’t like the back let’s just turn it over.
It still had to like similar to the original building in the end so I just made sure when doing corners of the small details like on the balcony, there was still a corner to go be, and then perhaps something cutting across the corner aswell so that it didn’t end up being to ‘precise’.
So I think that I do like the more abstractly feel to the un realistic colours so I’ve already done some smaller embroidery of things like letter boxes and the red telephone box but I think it would be interesting to do them again only in this style, using none life like colours and the back being the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment