Wednesday 15 December 2010

The start of the Alice dress!

So this is the start of my 'Alice' dress.
Basically for my textiles project this year I'm going with the theme of fairytales and landed on Alice in Wonderland. I'm now going through a children's book of the tale and using the images on the book for inspiration for my own take on an Alice dress.
Now luckily enough when working on the Ben Hur project I made the dresses for the love interest Zena and these just happen to be the perfect shade of blue for an Alice dress! So there were two dresses for the production so I'm keeping one of them as a reference for the Zena character and then the second had to be distressed as part of the story and so I'm going to take this dress and customise it so that there's hopefully no more spray painted parts or any visible parts where it was attacked with a cheese grater as seen here! And then I'm going to use it as a canvas to show some of the embroidery techniques I've been and going to learn throughout the year. I may end up making another dress if I finish it quickly enough but this is enough to be getting on with for now!

So to start with I've chopped off some of the length from the sleeves and the skirt of the dress, I think it may get shorter but just slowly for now, I'd like for it to be around the knee in length with perhaps a petticoat underneath for some more volume. Next I'm going to do something about the neckline as there's been some distressing to it so I would like to cut it away but then I don't want to lose too much, for it to be to low cut as I want it to have the initial Alice feel and then when you look closer you will see more detailed embroidery.

So that's going to be my next step, I do need to remind myself to stop making so much Christmas joy and do some uni work but it's difficult at this time of year! So as long as I keep going with it I shall hopefully have the main body of the dress finished and ready for some more detail in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment