Monday 30 January 2012

David St John Thomas

David St John Thomas is sort of a more modern Bradshaw, he's written several volumes of A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain, the one I'm interested in however is Volume 1 THE WEST COUNTRY.
His fifth revised version written in 1981 is just one of the many books I've been taking out of library's recently and I still love it when I find old paintings or photos of Dawlish of how it used to be, or how it still looks the same.

Water-colour by W.J.Dawson in 1848

There are of course only so many books with old photos of Dawlish and I am getting to the stage of seeing the same photos and drawings in different books now but one of is still this one I originally saw in David St John Thomas The Great Way West as it makes you wonder how it must have been to build this section of the south west railway.

An artists impression of the late 1840s from the
Illustrated London News

When I've been on a train home there's been several times the sea has splashed onto the train itself but never quite like in 1974 when this photo was made into a postcard to make travellers feel lucky when they went to Dawlish on a more pleasant day.

1974, the year that most of Dawlish's down platform was
missing having being destroyed in an exceptional gale.


No comments:

Post a Comment