Friday 27 January 2012

Great British Railways

"In 1840, one man transformed travel in Britain. His name was George Bradshaw, and his railway guides inspired the Victorians to take to the tracks. Stop by stop, he told them where to travel, what to see and where to stay. Now 170years later I'm making a series of journeys across the length and breadth of the country to see what of Bradshaw's Britain remains." This is how Michael Portillo opens each and every episode of his series Great British Railway Journeys on BBC2.

George Bradshaw's hand book for rail travel.

In series one my mother recorded the episode when he stayed in Bath and since I've kept on watching onto the third series that's showing every week day on BBC 2. It's a show about the journey's you can take around Britain and Bradshaw writes about the things you shouldn't miss, things to see in every town you could go to by rail, and he's made me want to go to some places now purely from the 5minutes of him walking around them. I've love to watch the weeks of episodes when we went around Devon and Cornwall now because I wasn't paying as much attention to this show 2years ago as I am now, and I'd love to hear what he makes of the sight when a train passes through Dawlish. 

Opening credits shot of Portillo's series.

No comments:

Post a Comment